Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Duckball

Just back from Spring game...

Recommended Posts

What a glorious spring day in Eugene!

My initial takeaways:

Bo Nix clear starter.

Extremely impressed with Chase Cota.

RB Whittington looks like a flat out baller.

Offense overall looked good, defense only so-so.

Really hope that kicker Lanning brought in is better than Cam Lewis!

A lot of guys out of action today and everything we saw today obviously is taken with grain of salt. I look forward to watching the game on DVR for further analysis. I would guess 40 to 45,000 fans today in Autzen. A really fun and happy group of Ducks. Highlight of game was when Uncle Phil walked right by me as he was walking down to field near the end of the game. 😄

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, how can I forget Seven Maghee? Looks like he will THRIVE in this offense. So glad Lanning talked him into staying.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some really bad throws by Ty and a few  by Nix.  All else looked pretty good for what it was.  Butters looked like he could step in and throw accurate balls at any time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree.

Upon further analysis, the QB play by all 3 QB's was just OK. Nix has the clear advantage to me, but Butters is just as good if not better than TT. I still think we have an open competition there.

I have a better opinion of the defense after watching the tape. Especially D line and DJ!! Wow. I didn't see a ton of stellar play from DB's though. Something to keep an eye on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/23/2022 at 4:47 PM, Duckball said:

Highlight of game was when Uncle Phil walked right by me as he was walking down to field near the end of the game

What, did you think some of him would rub off on you ??  (Ha, ha). The guy is a wonder and does more than his share for the Ducks. I hope we can get him a national championship soon. 

On 4/23/2022 at 4:58 PM, oregon111 said:

Butters looked like he could step in and throw accurate balls at any time. 

I'm cheering for this guy and hope he can be our #2, but not holding my breath. I have it in my mind that he is another  D. Dixon.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/24/2022 at 8:24 PM, BigDucksFan said:

 

I'm cheering for this guy and hope he can be our #2, but not holding my breath. I have it in my mind that he is another  D. Dixon.  

Concerning Butters above...   Butterfield is not nearly as athletic as Dennis Dixon.  And I don't trust him under any kind of D line or blitzing pressure.  But at least he can throw to the right spots. 

Ty cannot be the backup if he is going to throw right to the defensive players.  That is a disqualification for playing time.  Sorry to be such a D!@#. 

The QB position is athletic, skilled, and mental all at the same time.   At least Nix has a little of all 3.  Ty has a bigger gun and Butters has more accuracy, but Nix has the complete toolset - sometimes. 

Don't be surprised if Lanning brings in another transfer QB in the next week.  You can't bet all your marbles on Nix staying healthy. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am sorry but this was an intrasquad  scrimmage...nothing more and nothing less.

Message boards are filled with silly predictions and mandates on what Oregon "has to do" based on a scrimmage in April!?! 😂 It doesn't work that way.

Coaches have watched and worked with players for like a month on practically a daily basis...fans see a couple of hours of a controlled scrimmage and the sky is falling or Oregon will win the National Championship and all points in between. 😂

In Nick Saban's post Spring Game press conference he talked about not allowing a QB to do certain things(strengths) because they wanted to see what he would do with his weaker skill sets.

Point being, we don't know what coaches are asking / requiring of players...but I am pretty sure the Spring Game is a drop in the bucket compared to the big picture.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/24/2022 at 9:49 PM, DuckSense said:

I am sorry but this was an intrasquad  scrimmage...nothing more and nothing less.

Message boards are filled with silly predictions and mandates on what Oregon "has to do" based on a scrimmage in April!?! 😂 It doesn't work that way.

Coaches have watched and worked with players for like a month on practically a daily basis...fans see a couple of hours of a controlled scrimmage and the sky is falling or Oregon will win the National Championship and all points in between. 😂

In Nick Saban's post Spring Game press conference he talked about not allowing a QB to do certain things(strengths) because they wanted to see what he would do with his weaker skill sets.

Point being, we don't know what coaches are asking / requiring of players...but I am pretty sure the Spring Game is a drop in the bucket compared to the big picture.

You can see a lot from a Spring Game.  Can a QB throw accurately?  Can the O line pass protect?  Can receivers catch the ball?  Are the players fast?  Are the linemen in shape?  How is the kicking game?

What you can't see is how the team would do against other teams.   And you cannot expect the play calling to be carried over to real games. 

I think from what I saw, the team has a lot of pieces in place, ready to go.  They also have some improvements that need to be made. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/24/2022 at 8:24 PM, BigDucksFan said:

What, did you think some of him would rub off on you ??  (Ha, ha). The guy is a wonder and does more than his share for the Ducks. I hope we can get him a national championship soon.

Honestly, I was taken aback at how old and frail Phil looked. I hope Oregon can deliver the goods while Mr Knight is still around to enjoy the fruits of his labor and unending generosity.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/24/2022 at 9:13 PM, oregon111 said:

Nix has the complete toolset - sometimes. 

Nutshell.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/24/2022 at 9:49 PM, DuckSense said:

I am sorry but this was an intrasquad  scrimmage...nothing more and nothing less.

Like I said, Spring game is a grain of salt. But as far as spring games go, this was impressive. This may have been the most "game" like as any I've seen at Oregon. I was entertained and enlightened all the way through. Great job by Lanning getting so many Alums involved. The "juice" was flowing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

First game in a long time without seeing Feld on the sidelines.   I was a fan when he first got here, but got pretty tired of his routine. 

I think pro wrestling is in his future.  Seriously. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/26/2022 at 12:17 AM, oregon111 said:

First game in a long time without seeing Feld on the sidelines.   I was a fan when he first got here, but got pretty tired of his routine. 

I think pro wrestling is in his future.  Seriously. 

I tell you what. Coach Love is not much different than coach Feld. I was watching him quite a bit at the Spring game as he was ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!

Jumping around and screaming and hollering above the din. My daughter (who knows nothing about football) was lol'ing and saying "hey dad, what's up with THAT guy?"  I told her that's the strength and conditioning coach. Apparently that's what they do these days. 😄

Is there no longer a place for a coach Radcliff kind of guy???? Sheeeeesh.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 4/26/2022 at 5:25 PM, Duckball said:

I tell you what. Coach Love is not much different than coach Feld. I was watching him quite a bit at the Spring game as he was ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!

Jumping around and screaming and hollering above the din. My daughter (who knows nothing about football) was lol'ing and saying "hey dad, what's up with THAT guy?"  I told her that's the strength and conditioning coach. Apparently that's what they do these days. 😄

 

Thanks for the update on that...   it is now clearly a trend.  I'll be watching for it in the future. 

You just have to know what is coming next with these guys...    SUPER-HERO costumes!

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...
Top