Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oregon111

Just a few more days to enter portal and play in the fall

I thought there would be a rush of Oregon players going to portal right after Spring Camp.  So far, that is not the case. 

It looks like most, if not all who finished Spring Camp will stick around for fall camp. 

But if they leave during Fall Camp or the season, then they have to sit out a year. 

With so many players in the portal already, leaving a team might be the end of one's college football career. 

I can't stay on top of all the rules.

So far, the football team seems to have less turnover than the men's and women's basketball teams! Holy hell, I have no idea who is on either team any more. 😩

Coaches will be happy! I am glad for the Transfer Portal on one issue especially...it took away the petty "block" tactic head coaches could use previously to prevent a player going anywhere i.e. why would you want a player on your team who doesn't want to be there?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-coaches-eager-to-catch-breath-as-transfer-portals-may-1-deadline-pauses-roster-churn/

Good article albeit some things have changed since it was written in March. It is only about transfers. Sometimes players opting to the NFL, graduating and transfers all get bunched together as "lost" but the reasons vary i.e. Dye transferred; Verdell opted for the NFL; Brown had no more eligibility.

Also important to remember...every team has only 85 scholarships to offer so entering the Transfer Portal having had a scholarship doesn't guarantee you will leave with one.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/pac-12-football-ranking-the-transfer-classes-for-2022

Edited by DuckSense

On 4/29/2022 at 7:36 AM, DuckSense said:

Coaches will be happy!

I'm assuming you mean the coaches will be happy to have a few months to not worry about losing any more players?

I think from all I've heard and the article you reference, coaches are not fans of the portal. I'm neutral on how this effects Oregon. The portal shall giveth and take away. I'm happy for athletes that find greener pastures for themselves. I'm sad for the guys who find out the grass is not greener and end up without a team or scholarship.

Somehow, this all still seems somewhat exploitative of the athletes, for which all of this, was supposed to benefit them specifically.

This whole thing really bothers me, and seems way out of control. Maybe some guardrails will be established down the road and I'll end up feeling better about it at some point. College basketball has almost lost me with the roster turnovers. College football is getting there.

On 4/29/2022 at 9:15 PM, Duckball said:

This whole thing really bothers me, and seems way out of control. Maybe some guardrails will be established down the road and I'll end up feeling better about it at some point. College basketball has almost lost me with the roster turnovers. College football is getting there.

I have decided to enjoy the games themselves and not let "the process" of how the players I am watching got there impact my viewing decisions. Yet bad officiating and coaching still bothers me more than any other issues so my approach has its flaws too. Winning ultimately makes our dislikes of the Transfer Portal, NIL, coaching hires, etc. shrink or go away.

On 4/30/2022 at 7:00 AM, DuckSense said:

I have decided to enjoy the games themselves and not let "the process" of how the players I am watching got there impact my viewing decisions. Yet bad officiating and coaching still bothers me more than any other issues so my approach has its flaws too. Winning ultimately makes our dislikes of the Transfer Portal, NIL, coaching hires, etc. shrink or go away.

Winning is a powerful salve.

On 4/29/2022 at 9:15 PM, Duckball said:

I'm neutral on how this effects Oregon.

Here is how I think it will effect Oregon:

The big teams like Bama, Ohio St, Clemson will get knocked down a notch by losing some of their depth and by other teams getting a little better via the portal. 

Oregon will lose a little like the way they lost Ashford and Kingsly.  Those are two players who have the high ceiling to potentially develop into superstars.  Losing players with low ceilings won't hurt the program - whatever they lose, they will make up for it with an additional roster spot, and they always lose those kind of players anyway. 

Oregon will gain a lot with the portal.  Nix is a perfect example and so is Taki. 

And, Oregon will have tougher games against lesser opponents as said opponents pick up talent via the portal and make themselves more competitive. Charbonnet is a great example of that. 

Also, this gives Oregon a way to get more top talent on the field.  Oregon can only get so many great players via high school.  They can win the pac12 recruiting battle,  but they can't beat out teams like bama, Ga, Ohio St on the recruiting platform.  Oregon can pick up good to great players via the portal that they can't get as recruits out of high school. 

In summary:

The portal will take away some talent from the teams that Oregon used to not be able to beat.  Oregon can both gain and lose talent to/from the portal.  And Oregon's lesser opponents can get stronger via the portal and use those players to knock off the Ducks in a year they are gunning for the playoffs. 

Oregon is a 'brand'.  A player not seeing the field for a top 5 team would love to come to Oregon to play and be seen.  And a player that turns into a star on a mediocre team would love to come to Oregon and shine in the spotlight. 

If the portal can get more teams into the national championship discussion and the playoffs, then I am all for it. 

Cristobal had better teams with players he inherited as a head coach than players he recruited as a head coach i.e. won the Pac-12 Championship and Rose Bowl his second year; was destroyed in the Pac-12 Championship in his final year and while he wasn't the head coach in the game...the team only made it to and lost in the Alamo Bowl.

So yes having the best recruiting classes in the Pac-12 hasn't guaranteed success or proven anything and no Oregon is not going to recruit better than Alabama, Ohio State, etc. year after year.

At some point coaching and player development is the "it factor" and it remains to be seen how Lanning does as he learns on the job.

I don't believe you can be dependent on only the transfer portal or recruiting high school kids. It is a deft combination of those two areas plus recruiting / retaining your roster. You simply cannot be losing starters year after year.