Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckSense

Transfer RB to Oregon...BUT

Posted (edited)

The key issue here as noted in the article...this gives Oregon a roster of 87 scholarship players...which is 2 over the limit of 85. Lots of different ways to speculate what might happen to get down to 85.

However apparently that might be a good problem to have because as per the second link, there are teams woefully short of 85 with almost no chance of getting to that number thanks to either more players leaving than being brought in OR the NCAA rule of only being able to bring in a maximum of 25 new players a year...recruits AND transfers.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2022/05/former-minnesota-running-back-markeise-irving-commits-to-transfer-to-oregon-ducks.html

https://www.si.com/college/2022/04/25/college-football-scholarship-signing-limit-transfer-portal

Edited by DuckSense

I'd be willing to bet Lanning has an idea of a couple players that will be moving on once we get to August.

Isn't there a couple guys away from the team right now "working on personal issues"??

Obviously 25 player class limit will need to be tweaked. I kinda like the idea of ensuring a certain number of each class MUST be high-schoolers. Maybe that's one way to control the "out of control" number of transfers?

The 85 limit is not just 85, as I understand it...

You can also have some players that have that extra year from the covid year of 2020.  But I could be wrong. 

Either way, I don't see why they needed to bring in another RB.   Maybe they just really liked him?

On 5/2/2022 at 10:25 AM, oregon111 said:

Either way, I don't see why they needed to bring in another RB.   Maybe they just really liked him?

Adding depth is always good. We are very inexperienced at RB, so more competition is a good thing also. This kid had pretty good numbers for a true frosh. Almost 6 yards per carry.

On 5/2/2022 at 10:25 AM, oregon111 said:

You keep the cream of the crop and you encourage the others to use the portal.

On 5/3/2022 at 11:42 AM, BigDucksFan said:

You keep the cream of the crop and you encourage the others to use the portal.

So maybe they are playing 'musical chairs'?

I liked the way Wittington ran the ball in the Spring Game.  He looks like he has another gear.