Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckSense

Wilner is tough on Pac-12 NFL Draft results

As usual...he nails it pretty well. Yes with all those highly ranked recruits, Oregon should have had more than one player drafted(coaching or lack thereof).

Hadn't thought of it previously but I am inclined to agree that Pac-12 teams are not doing well recruiting the right players for their respective systems.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50396980/pac-12-football-winners-and-losers-from-the-2022-nfl-draft

With the pac12 not making it to the playoffs, that has been why the better players are going elsewhere. 

Playoff teams get the best players.   And next up are the competitive teams in the SEC and Big10.

On 5/2/2022 at 10:39 AM, oregon111 said:

Playoff teams get the best players.   And next up are the competitive teams in the SEC and Big10.

It's the age old story "the rich get richer and the poor get poorer", and Oregon is not in the "rich" category. With Cristobal we were heading into the "rich" category, but because he could not do anything with good players we never made it there. 

One has to ask the big question, how long can the Pac-12 hold on to being a "P5" conference before it gets kicked out of that category. Can USC or Oregon make a national championship happen within the next 5-7 years ?? - - - Doughtful. Talk and hype is all these two schools have lived off of for far to long.  

It's obvious no other team in the Pac-12 will even come close to a national title and that is because they are not really trying. You can tell because they keep hanging onto the same mediocre coaches and the schools are content with just going to a bowl game, let alone winning anything on a national level.   (Is it time the Pac-12 dumps underperforming schools ?? - Just a thought)   Ask yourself: would the conference get any less money from the national TV contract if Washington state was not a member of the Pac ??  How about if Oregon State was not a member ?? What about Cal ??  Are these schools doing anything to bring in revenue to the conference ??

You won't keep good West coast kids on the West coast with only mediocre schools to play for, let along pull in good talent from other parts of the country. 

The ACC is no better than the pac12.   Clemson had a hot streak, but it probably won't last. 

The big12 without Oklahoma is a mediocre conference. 

The pac12 should be good again once UCLA gets a good coach who can recruit. 

Mario, Jimmy Lake, and Helton brought down the pac12.  Just wait until the 2023 season and see what it is doing. 

I put a healthy dose of blame on Larry Scott and the university executives who voted him in(his bosses) and then allowed him to stay far beyond what was appropriate. That dynamic trickled down to athletic departments, head coaching hires, etc.

It is just like sports itself...some players / teams can recover quickly from bad situations and others cannot. Oregon and USC have not but ditto for Florida State, Florida, Texas and others. Yet Ohio State after the Urban Meyer situation; one year of Luke Fickell and now they are at the top again. We will see what Brian Kelly can do at LSU; how Clemson will do losing their star OC and DC coaches.

The problem with the Pac-12 is there are no great teams...even very good teams.

Honestly, who cares how the Pac-12 did in the draft this year?

As long as Oregon continues to get top 10 and 15 classes each year and can be in the mix for National Championships.... this is all much ado about nothing. I love the Pac-12 and everything it stands for, but I think we all know the future of the Pac-12, along with the Big 12 and ACC, is bleak. College sports will be divided up into the have's and have-nots. Super Leagues/Conferences are going to happen.

Oregon will be one of the "have's".

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2022 at 7:58 PM, Duckball said:

Oregon will be one of the "have's".

I don't think so. I think the Pac-12 conference will continue to drag all the conference teams down and keep them in the category of the "have-nots", just like it has been doing for all the years under Larry Scott and the loser bosses that kept Larry in office, not to mention all the schools that, for some reason failed to say anything during that time. It will be a long time before the conference can drag itself out from under the damage he did, and by then all the teams will be well solidified into the "have-nots" or "irrelevancy" category. 

Edited by BigDucksFan

On 5/3/2022 at 10:17 PM, BigDucksFan said:

I don't think so. I think the Pac-12 conference will continue to drag all the conference teams down and keep them in the category of the "have-nots", just like it has been doing for all the years under Larry Scott and the loser bosses that kept Larry in office, not to mention all the schools that, for some reason failed to say anything during that time. It will be a long time before the conference can drag itself out from under the damage he did, and by then all the teams will be well solidified into the "have-nots" or "irrelevancy" category. 

I argue Oregon is bigger than the conference. The conference is irrelevant to Oregon's future. Oregon is the shining star of the West when it comes to football in my opinion.

Oregon would never be left out of a Super Conference or League if, and when the conferences dissolve.