Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckSense

Review of all Pac-12 Spring Games by Wilner

Wow...18 hours watching Pac-12 Spring Games! Credit to Jon Wilner and his staff for doing that and then as per the link, writing a column. 

I tell you, the Pac-12 simply doesn't appear to be anything but mediocre at this point from top to bottom.

As always, Wilner has some thought provoking facts...those that stood out to me...

+WSU in the last 6 seasons has had a winning record in conference play for 5 of those seasons...best in the North Division.

+Oregon has not had an all-conference WR since the Pac-12 expansion!...in other words for a decade. I see it this way...when Oregon has been good / great they were well balanced and had multiple players to attack with i.e. no need for a "go to guy" at WR. When they have been mediocre to poor the QB passing skills have been inconsistent.

+Not a single player in the entire Pac-12 had 4 runs of at least 50-yards last season. The QB at Oklahoma and now USC, Caleb Williams did it! That kind of threat could win you 2 or 3 games by itself.

+Utah will have the same head coach / OC / DC for the 4th consecutive season.

https://www.oregonlive.com/collegefootball/2022/05/pac-12-football-spring-practice-wrap-what-we-learned-over-10-weeks-of-workouts-with-an-eye-on-the-2022-season.html

Interesting. All that and the Pac-12 is still considered a P5 conference. (Pitiful) 

Star players win games.  Get enough of them and you win a championship. 

Skills positions on are offense are good. Not too sure about the O line, but should be OK. 

Defense is thin at safety and has some injuries all over.  Look for Lanning to add DBs. 

On 5/6/2022 at 3:55 PM, oregon111 said:

Star players win games.  Get enough of them and you win a championship.

Which begs the question how many star players does Oregon have on offense? 

I am not talking about potential or players who "showed signs of being great" or "gave us a glimpse"...players who have done it? 

Given that the players who were responsible for 52 of 57 Oregon TD'S last year are no longer on the team...I would say right now the answer is "zero but unknown."

Dillingham can chirp all he wants but in both seasons at FSU they ranked in the bottom half of the ACC in Scoring Offense. So he isn't a star coach either.

Nix has made some improvements since his freshman year but hardly off the charts.

To me it is largely a lingering symptom of "Cristobal's Disease" where players(who actually got to play) were restricted by a process, scheme and play calling.

Do I think star players will emerge? Yes. But at the moment there is next to nothing to do anything but speculate and hope.

On 5/6/2022 at 5:38 PM, DuckSense said:

Dillingham can chirp all he wants but in both seasons at FSU they ranked in the bottom half of the ACC in Scoring Offense. So he isn't a star coach either.

Very true, so who hired this mediocre coach to run our offense ??  Oh yeah, it was our head coach. I hope this is not a typical sample of his decision making abilities. Ask yourself: is this the guy that is going to take us to the promised land ??  We should have a real good idea of that early in this season. 

On 5/6/2022 at 5:38 PM, DuckSense said:

Nix has made some improvements since his freshman year but hardly off the charts.

So if Nix is just a mediocre QB what's that say about the other QB's that he beat out for the #1 job here at Oregon ??  Most of us Duck fans thought we had a real good QB barn full. Maybe not. 

I really hope this staff can "develop" players. 

A star player is talent, not statistics. 

KT was a star before he even stepped on the field in a real game.  Same with Penei Sewell. 

Nix, Thornton, Franklin, Hutson are star players.  Why?  Because they pass the 'eye' test.  They look good.  Star players look good and make it look easy when they are doing it. 

Whittington looked really good too. 

I'm not expecting 50 pts vs Georgia, but these offensive skill players should become big stars this pac12 schedule. 

On 5/8/2022 at 12:12 AM, oregon111 said:

A star player is talent, not statistics

PERFECT definition of Cristobal's Disease of which I am thankfully cured. Recruiting and a process is all that is needed... coaching, player development and all those statistics like scor

*scoring TD's are less relevant as long as you have talent and make it look easy. Sports history is filled with stories of players who were talented and made everything look easy but failed.

For me, RESULTS as in helping the team WIN games is very important regardless of talent. 

Bo Nix a star??? After his freshman year he went 6-5 in his sophomore year; lost in the Citrus Bowl to Northwestern and threw a whopping 12 TD's to 7 INT's. Last year he was even benched due to poor play. 

I guess we have drastically different definitions of "star" and "talent."

Posted (edited)
On 5/7/2022 at 6:08 PM, BigDucksFan said:

So if Nix is just a mediocre QB what's that say about the other QB's that he beat out for the #1 job here at Oregon ??  Most of us Duck fans thought we had a real good QB barn full. Maybe not. 

The problem is TT and JB never got to PLAY meaningful minutes in games. So we just don't know.

Yet Lincoln Riley puts a true freshman in at QB (Caleb Williams) to replace a preseason Heisman candidate (Spencer Rattler) in the middle of the Oklahoma v Texas game and look what happened?

Ryan Day starts CJ Stroud at QB(Oregon was his second start) and by the end of the season he leads them to a Rose Bowl win.

I am so tired of Oregon talking "National Championship" when they don't make decisions or act like the "big boys" do...and Lanning is headed right down the same path...he brought in Nix before he even had a single organized practice to see what he had at QB. 

Lanning can coach speak ad infinitum about an "open competition" but it was closed the second he brought in Nix as a transfer.

Edited by DuckSense

On 5/9/2022 at 9:38 AM, DuckSense said:

Lanning can coach speak ad infinitum about an "open competition" but it was closed the second he brought in Nix as a transfer.

Yep, just like Cristobal was with Anthony Brown, now we'll see if Lanning follows Cristobal's lead by not letting any other QB in the games. Yes, even the Georga game.