Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckSense

BIG changes to Conference Football Championship Game / Pac-12

Posted (edited)

This is SIGNIFICANT starting this season i.e. the 2 teams with the best records will play for the Pac-12 Championship. No longer does winning the Division guarantee a championship game appearance.

Unanimous vote too.

Also it looks like there will be an end to the Divisions themselves in the near future. Changes are coming!

https://pac-12.com/article/2022/05/18/pac-12-announces-change-football-championship-game-format

Edited by DuckSense

It would really help if they were to cut back to only 8 games and come up with a better rotation of teams to play. Maybe if they get rid of the North/South divisions they will come up with a better rotation. 

Those two changes would benefit the Pac-12 huge. (Oh, they also have to start winning the bowl games)

Having divisions gives the fans and media something to talk about.  It makes it more interesting.  Going my % is kind of like a buzzkill, even if it makes for a better title game. 

There is also a race for the divisional title, which will be missed. 

I think overall, it is a wash - and it won't do anything to get a pac12 team into the playoffs.   If you can't even win your own division, you won't make the playoffs. 

It is time to stop playing stupid manipulation games. 

Coaches who can recruit will get their teams ranked high and into the playoffs.  Peterson did it. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2022 at 1:46 AM, oregon111 said:

It is time to stop playing stupid manipulation games. 

Coaches who can recruit will get their teams ranked high and into the playoffs.  Peterson did it. 

"Schedule manipulation" plays a major role i.e. 8 vs 9 conference games; trying to schedule better teams in hopes of higher quality wins...what is one issue everyone complains about with the SEC? Schedule manipulation. Ditto in the Big Ten i.e. "Oh they didn't have to play ohio state this year." It is not a Pac-12 only issue.

I applaud the Pac-12 for not making the same choices yet expecting different results. The fact it was a unanimous vote by coaches, athletic directors and administrators shows they were ready to take a different approach. Change a losing game.

Chris Petersen was an excellent coach first and foremost. According to Rivals, during his time at the uw he never had a Top 10 recruiting class(#15 was his highest) and Oregon was ranked above him every year he was at the uw which means he never had the #1 recruiting class in the Pac-12...even after he made the Playoffs. Cristobal proved recruiting itself is no guarantee you will win you anything.

Edited by DuckSense

This guaranty's that the school with the weakest schedule has a shot at a conf title...

That should go a long way to getting the Pac 12 into the playoffs. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2022 at 4:33 PM, DuckU said:

This guaranty's that the school with the weakest schedule has a shot at a conf title...

That should go a long way to getting the Pac 12 into the playoffs. 

Exactly! That is one possibility! You may be right!

How is this for a schedule...

Miami of Ohio 

Murray State 

Indiana 

Notre Dame 

Temple 

UCF 

Navy 

Tulane 

Tulsa 

USF 

SMU 

East Carolina 

Houston

How many P5 opponents?

Going 13-0 with that schedule got the University of Cincinnati in the Playoffs over the 2-loss luckeyes who by far and away had a much more tougher schedule.

Tough or weak schedules don't get you in the Playoffs... WINNING games with maybe 1 loss at most do. Check the records of teams who made the Playoffs.

Weak schedule or not, if you are 12-0 / 11-1 you WILL BE in the discussion for the Playoffs... certainly more so than 9-3 with a "tough schedule."

One thing for certain, what the Pac-12 has been doing hasn't worked at all in terms of getting in the Playoffs...so thankfully the Pac-12 is trying to do something different to change their recent history.

Edited by DuckSense

On 5/22/2022 at 6:53 PM, DuckSense said:

Weak schedule or not, if you are 12-0 / 11-1 you WILL BE in the discussion for the Playoffs... certainly more so than 9-3 with a "tough schedule."

One thing for certain, what the Pac-12 has been doing hasn't worked at all in terms of getting in the Playoffs...so thankfully the Pac-12 is trying to do something different to change their recent history.

Your right a 9-3 will get you "loser" status regardless of the level of competition, where as a 13-0 with weak schedule will get you in the playoffs. The level of competition does not matter. Period. 

It's good the Pac-12 is trying to do something, but staring them right in the face for years is the 9 game schedule, but yet they don't want to see it. Don't tell me they're trying very hard. Incompetence still runs deep in the Pac-12 hierarchy. 

On 5/22/2022 at 6:53 PM, DuckSense said:

WINNING games with maybe 1 loss at most do. Check the records of teams who made the Playoffs.

How bout this for a pac12 schedule to make the playoffs?

Portland State

Idaho

New Mexico St

Cal

Az St

Colorado

Wazzu

UCLA 

Colorado St

Stanford

Az

the beavs

Do something like this and the Ducks make the playoffs, but the regular season becomes a bunch of mostly exhibition games. 

On 5/23/2022 at 12:49 PM, oregon111 said:

How bout this for a pac12 schedule to make the playoffs?

Portland State

Idaho

New Mexico St

Cal

Az St

Colorado

Wazzu

UCLA 

Colorado St

Stanford

Az

the beavs

Do something like this and the Ducks make the playoffs, but the regular season becomes a bunch of mostly exhibition games. 

One small detail...who do they play(and defeat) for the Pac-12 Championship? 

Also I don't believe the majority of Oregon and uw fans would be happy if they didn't play each other... probably players and coaches too.

Nor do I believe a weak schedule is the only path to a Playoff spot.

On 5/24/2022 at 8:28 AM, DuckSense said:

Nor do I believe a weak schedule is the only path to a Playoff spot.

It may not be the only path to the playoffs, but a lot of teams have gotten to them that way. It's hard to keep an even playing field. 

On 5/24/2022 at 7:02 PM, BigDucksFan said:

It may not be the only path to the playoffs, but a lot of teams have gotten to them that way. It's hard to keep an even playing field. 

I tend to believe that good to great teams make opponents look "weak" vs simply a schedule of weak teams. Last year Michigan State finished 11-2 and ranked #9 in the nation. The luckeyes beat them 56-7! 

Otherwise the Pac-12 is in great shape then because every team is "weak" so every team is playing a weak schedule. The schedule plays a role(I think home and away opponents are a factor) but while it is a fan favorite for excuses...great coaches and teams win regardless of schedule.

On 5/26/2022 at 1:23 PM, DuckSense said:

great coaches and teams win regardless of schedule.

I agree with this whole heatedly.  However, you can count the number of these teams on the first 3 fingers of your left hand. 

Let's be clear here just getting to the playoffs is what recruiting is all about. If you can just get to the playoffs your recruiting goes way up and that is the big boost of it. The next step is actually winning the national title, which comes after great recruiting, done by great coaches. 

On 5/26/2022 at 5:18 PM, BigDucksFan said:

Let's be clear here just getting to the playoffs is what recruiting is all about. If you can just get to the playoffs your recruiting goes way up and that is the big boost of it. The next step is actually winning the national title, which comes after great recruiting, done by great coaches. 

So true.   Just get to the playoffs.  That is the goal, because winning it all isn't a goal, because it is too far of a stretch - unless you recruit in the top 3 every year. 

And if you just get into the playoffs, you can get lucky. 

Obviously, Cincinnati had no chance to win once they got in there.  But everyone else has a chance. 

For a pac12 team to make the playoffs, it would need a record with no more than 1 loss. 

Winning the conference would be just about mandatory. 

Then they would need 'style points'. 

Throw in a 'signature win' like the Ducks over the Buckeyes last season. 

So that is a tall order just to get to the playoffs. 

On 5/27/2022 at 2:53 PM, oregon111 said:

So true.   Just get to the playoffs.  That is the goal, because winning it all isn't a goal, because it is too far of a stretch - unless you recruit in the top 3 every year. 

And if you just get into the playoffs, you can get lucky. 

Obviously, Cincinnati had no chance to win once they got in there.  But everyone else has a chance. 

For a pac12 team to make the playoffs, it would need a record with no more than 1 loss. 

Winning the conference would be just about mandatory. 

Then they would need 'style points'. 

Throw in a 'signature win' like the Ducks over the Buckeyes last season. 

So that is a tall order just to get to the playoffs. 

Yep, you got it.