Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckSense

Transfer Portal re Coach Graves

Interesting change in strategy i.e. 5 players transfer out and only 1 player is "allowed" to transfer in?!?

I agree though with his reasoning ala a cycle you can't get out of and if you are recruiting 4* and 5* talent they want to play.

Football requires so many more players so I am not sure what Graves is doing would work wholesale on a football team but I do think it could via specific positions.

https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Article/Kelly-Graves-Oregon-Womens-Basketball-Ducks-Basketball-Taya-Hanson-188045634/

Agree with Graves here.

Unfortunately Altman is full throttle on transfers. I can barely follow the revolving door in his program. I'm thankful Richardson and Gurrier are coming back next year. That means I know 3 guys on the team now.

Play with not enough, and then you get 4 players with rolled ankles - risky business.  I'd feel safer with a full roster, and replace it again after everybody leaves.  

On 6/13/2022 at 1:21 PM, oregon111 said:

Play with not enough, and then you get 4 players with rolled ankles - risky business.  I'd feel safer with a full roster, and replace it again after everybody leaves.  

It's a risk worth taking. Both teams have been a shambles the last two years.

I like the Graves path going forward. Let's build a freaking TEAM. Altman prefers mass turnover year after year. He's already lost a 5 star recruit this year before he's even stepped on the court.

Altman wonders why no one shows up to his games. It's pretty obvious, Dana. No one gives a $#!$%^%!!!

Posted (edited)

Pick your poison...a smaller roster makes you more vulnerable to injuries while a larger roster makes you more vulnerable to unhappy players who can't get in games i.e. bad attitudes can hurt a team as much as physical injuries. I credit Graves with trying something different and he said as much in the article about "we will see what happens."

This past season the MBB was one of the most selfish teams I have ever seen at Oregon. 

The stats show it in 2 key areas...ASSISTS where Oregon was 8th in the Pac-12 only one position above the beavers who had one of their worst seasons in school history...and REBOUNDS where Oregon finished 9th.

The Pac-12 teams who made the NCAA Tournament were all ranked in the Top 5 in the Conference in those categories.

Quincy Guerrier is 6'8" and 23-years old...he has no impactful basketball skills...averages less than 1 block, steal and assist per game. Shoots 64% FT. Averaged below 2 offensive rebounds per game.

Has Will Richardson ever been in the Oregon weight room? Physically he looks the same as he did his freshman year. Payton Pritchard created a perception of trying to make THE TEAM better through his efforts and hard work. My perception is Will Richardson is primarily about Will Richardson.

But I don't blame players...those are coaching issues.

Edited by DuckSense

On 6/14/2022 at 12:13 AM, DuckSense said:

Quincy Guerrier is 6'8" and 23-years old...he has no impactful basketball skills...averages less than 1 block, steal and assist per game. Shoots 64% FT. Averaged below 2 offensive rebounds per game.

Quincy had a rough year. But he was injured most of last summer and didn't get to practice with the team much before the season. He's also playing a different role than he played at Syracuse. He,as well as Dana, want to play more on perimeter and stretch the floor more than playing on the inside. I personally think it's the wrong move, but what do I know? I think Gurrier has plenty of skill, it's just not being used correctly. I have hope for him next year. We'll see.

On 6/14/2022 at 12:13 AM, DuckSense said:

My perception is Will Richardson is primarily about Will Richardson.

I've got mixed feelings about Will Richardson, but that's a bit harsh.

You are right about the weight room, but the guy is oozing with talent, he just lacks confidence and toughness at times. I think he has stretches where he is lazy, (I call him "sleepy Will" when I'm watching the games), and for a Senior, he has really lacked leadership imo. But one thing I can say for sure is, he's not a selfish player. I've never seen him complain or pout about anything. No ego. Seems to be a great teammate. He'll now be wearing the glorious Green and Yellow for his 5th year. I'd say he's 100% Duck and not just thinking about himself at all. I applaud a college kid that actually sticks it out for 4/5 years these days.

When Richardson is on, he's as good as anyone in the conference. It just doesn't happen consistently enough to be considered a great player yet.

I'm hoping this is the year he finally puts it all together.