Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckSense

Lanning's recruiting magic continues😂

Thank goodness for the Transfer Portal so Oregon can find this type of player to build its program. A backup QB at an FCS school should send ripples of fear through the rest of the Pac-12.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2022/06/oregon-ducks-add-commitment-from-fcs-qb-transfer.html

Does this show that Lanning's doesn't believe he can develop the QB's he already has in the barn ??   Wow. 

On 6/14/2022 at 7:50 AM, DuckSense said:

Thank goodness for the Transfer Portal so Oregon can find this type of player to build its program. A backup QB at an FCS school should send ripples of fear through the rest of the Pac-12.

https://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/2022/06/oregon-ducks-add-commitment-from-fcs-qb-transfer.html

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with that. I can't imagine he'll be more than a preferred walk-on.

But surely you jest with the backhanded swipe at Lanning's recruiting skills? I think he's killing it. And just barely scratching the surface at this point.

On 6/14/2022 at 9:10 PM, BigDucksFan said:

Does this show that Lanning's doesn't believe he can develop the QB's he already has in the barn ??   Wow. 

I am guessing some QB's are needed who "will never see the field" for the Scout team but AJ Abbott is already on the roster...but a backup from a lower Division???

On 6/14/2022 at 11:04 PM, Duckball said:

But surely you jest with the backhanded swipe at Lanning's recruiting skills? I think he's killing it. And just barely scratching the surface at this point.

Irrelevant if he cannot COACH well. After watching Cristobal's yo-yo approach to being a head coach, I see recruiting as important but not the key to winning.

Jonathan Smith who recruits with one arm tied behind his back compared to Oregon and maybe half the blue chip talent on the roster, coached osu to an opportunity to play for the Pac-12 Championship last season had they beat Oregon. No that didn't happen but they did beat USC, uw and 2 teams Oregon lost to... Stanford and Utah.

Since Lanning has no experience as a head coach and will be the least experienced head coach in the Pac-12, that aspect is much more important to me  than recruiting. We will see.

On 6/15/2022 at 2:26 PM, DuckSense said:

I am guessing some QB's are needed who "will never see the field" for the Scout team but AJ Abbott is already on the roster...but a backup from a lower Division???

I would have thought that the #2 QB would be the Scout team QB so as to get the max reps during practice. Just seems like a waste of a scholarship to bring in another QB unless you are planning on him being #2, but I don't see him filling those shoes. 

On 6/15/2022 at 6:39 PM, BigDucksFan said:

I would have thought that the #2 QB would be the Scout team QB so as to get the max reps during practice. Just seems like a waste of a scholarship to bring in another QB unless you are planning on him being #2, but I don't see him filling those shoes. 

Scout team QB's primary roll is to scout future opponents quarterbacks, learn plays and tendencies of the opponent, and the play the roll of opposing quarterback during practice to help our defense prepare.

You wouldn't want any QB who even has the chance of playing in a real game... wasting their time in practice spending nearly no time  studying/practicing OUR playbook. Scout team QB is usually the #4 or #5 guy who has definite skills, but is a super long shot to ever play in a game.

On 6/15/2022 at 3:48 PM, DuckSense said:

Irrelevant if he cannot COACH well.

Obviously. And yes, we shall see.

Only my opinion, but I'm  sky-high on this guy and his staff. I think he will be an outstanding coach. I'm not naive enough to think there won't be bumps in the road, but I've just got a good feeling about Lanning. He could be special.

Time to prove it

On 6/15/2022 at 3:48 PM, DuckSense said:

Since Lanning has no experience as a head coach and will be the least experienced head coach in the Pac-12, that aspect is much more important to me  than recruiting. We will see.

All Lanning has to do is recruit and get out of the way...    Cristobal could not do part two. 

I doubt that Lanning will be calling plays.  I doubt that Lanning will be designing schemes.  

As a first year head coach, if he is smart, he will let his EXPERIENCED staff handle everything in year one and just call time-outs. 

We will see. 

But you can't play like Georgia and Alabama until you can recruit like Georgia and Alabama. 

On 6/19/2022 at 1:06 AM, oregon111 said:

But you can't play like Georgia and Alabama until you can recruit like Georgia and Alabama. 

So very true, however, it's like the chicken and the egg, you can't win without good recruiting and you can't recruit without winning. Those two matrices must stay somewhat close together to be successful. 

It's true Cristobal could not do part two (coach). I think you are right in that Lanning will weigh heavily on his staff for play calling and schemes, which in this first year may be his weakness. Time will tell if he can "keep it together". I hope he can.