Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DurangoDuck

This will make some heads explode

Sounds like done deal. 

I'm not sure there is enough room on this page to say all that I want to say about this.

First, I blame most of it on Larry Scott and the people that kept him in office while he raped the Pac-12 and destroyed every good thing about it, for year after year, after year. 

Second, I also have to blame the Pac-12 existing commissioner for missing his opportunity to expand the Pac-12 when he had the chance. He was caught sleeping on the job. So much for his "alliance" that he set up and counted on. The good news is that as bad as you are, you're still not as bad as Larry Scott. 

The winner in all this is of course is the Big Ten, who now has an "in" for all those 5 star and high 4 star players located in the greater LA basin. This is like striking gold for them and the loser is of course the Pac-12. (as usual)

I also consider Oregon a loser as I don't think the Big Ten  will want us because there is not any 5 star players located in the Oregon area and the cost of travel to the West coast (a second or third time within a year) is just to exhausting for playing a good team, (not a great team). I seriously doubt  Oregon or Washington will get an invite to the Big Ten, unless Lanning can get us in the national playoffs soon.  The SEC of course does not want to leave their state to play any other teams so they will not travel to the West Coast to play anyone. 

If the Big Ten would have wanted Oregon we would already be part of this move, but we are not. 

So much for any TV rights negotiations that will be coming. A dead deal with them will of course put the Pac-12 out of business. Yes Washington state has a big TV audience, but what other big name school will come out West to play here ??

Not to mention no other team from a different conference will want to join the Pac-12 now. Thank you Pac-12 commissioner for missing your opportunity and making us a "group of 5" type of conference rather than a P5. 

So, just where does that leave the Pac-12 ??   - - - - - - - -  Screwed.

I blame USC and UCLA for seeking a quick fix elsewhere to a problem they played a MAJOR role in creating in the Pac-12...being unable to create relevant football programs over the last decade while everyone else patiently waited for them to get their act together. Given that Oregon and the uw are the only football teams to reach the Playoffs in the current structure, makes my point.

Yes Larry Scott messed up the Pac-12 Network as in not being the revenue producing stream the Big Ten Network is now...but the USC and UCLA carry a heavy responsibility for the damage they have done.

Nor do I believe anyone on any level at any Pac-12 school all the way up to the Commissioner saw this coming or could have predicted it. USC and UCLA went rogue.

They(USC and UCLA) may win the battle as in more money but they just condemned themselves to losing a war with their status in the Big Ten similar to Texas and Oklahoma going to the SEC... barely a factor. You can't field an entire football team with 5* recruits...so all those 3* and 4* star SoCal kids are not going to want to play Maryland, Rutgers, Wisconsin, etc in November...let alone the luckeyes, Michigan, and so on. You can't have every team going 12-0, 11-1, 10-2...EVERY Big Ten opponent road game will require a plane trip for SoCal based USC and UCLA fans for any sport. Those schools just flipped the middle finger at their respective fan bases.

Regardless, fingers can be pointed in all directions and the blame game can have no end...but what is most important is what the Pac-10 does NOW.

On 6/30/2022 at 5:53 PM, DuckSense said:

Regardless, fingers can be pointed in all directions and the blame game can have no end...but what is most important is what the Pac-10 does NOW.

The million dollar question.   "Now what ??"   

Dose anyone have an idea of the options for the Pac  ??

Great comments.

I really can't add much as I'm in too much shock and rage to have a sensical opinion.

I'm getting disillusioned with college sports in a hurry. The Ducks, the Pac-12 and college sports in general have been such an important and joyous part of my life since the 70's. I get too emotional, but USC and UCLA freaking stabbed us in the back and betrayed us. I won't be getting over this anytime soon. It's painful. What should Oregon do next? I haven't got a clue. I despise every option I've heard today.

Bill Walton must be inconsolable. 😡

These are two of the schools who questioned the inclusion of Oregon, OSU, and WSU in the old PAC... To me, it seems the old biddies haven't changed much, if any, over the last 20 or so years.

Spoiled (Bratz) Children, indeed!

After stewing on this for a few days (still furious) I've only come to one definite conclusion: Under no circumstances whatsoever do I think Oregon should join the Big 10.

F THE BIG 10 and F USC and UCLA!!!

After supposedly forming an "alliance" and getting assurances that no conferences would poach each others teams, and all Pac-12 teams assuring the commish that they were 100% solid with the Pac-12, USC, UCLA and the Big 10 stab us in the back??!!

If Oregon begs and pleads on bended knee to join that treacherous conference and follow our treasonous "brothers" to that conference, I will forever lose respect for my beloved University of Oregon.

My first choice is to somehow save the Pac-12.

Second choice is to join SEC.

Third choice is form a "super-league" of our own with a combination of Pac12, Big12 and ACC.

SCREW THE BIG 10 AND EVERYTHING IT STANDS FOR!

I think this could really backfire for the LA schools if there are no other West Coast Big 10 members to play. Enjoy 5 road games in the Eastern Time zones. Enjoy the snow, too. you bastards. And just think of the traveling for Basketball, Baseball, Softball etc. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thanks 1

On 7/2/2022 at 6:45 PM, Duckball said:

After stewing on this for a few days (still furious) I've only come to one definite conclusion: Under no circumstances whatsoever do I think Oregon should join the Big 10.

It's the TV market that is controlling college sports right now and unless Oregon can get into the Big 10, I think they will go the way of the Pac-12, - - - into irrelevancy

The Pac-12 cannot be  saved without the big TV money, and with Los Angele's gone so is the money. Basic reality.

The SEC does not want Oregon or anyone else outside of a 10 minute drive for non home games. (ok, maybe 15 minutes but you get the point)

A "super-league" between the Pac-12, Big 12 and ACC will soon go the way into irrelevancy due to the Big 10 and SEC taking any team from them that the Big 10 or SEC wants to take. In other words any team within a big enough TV audience that would bring in more TV money for the conference. Oregon has a lot of fans nationwide but those fans are not the same as "loyal-local fans", of which there are not enough to attract the big TV money.  

On 7/4/2022 at 9:43 AM, BigDucksFan said:

It's the TV market that is controlling college sports right now and unless Oregon can get into the Big 10, I think they will go the way of the Pac-12, - - - into irrelevancy

College football has always thrived because of regional interest. I don't see that changing. I think the networks will make their Billions but destroy college football in the process. 

Destroying regional conferences will be a disaster. USC and UCLA will regret their decision. Prevailing wisdom is that money is all that matters. When it comes to the college sports fan, this is false. 

I hope Oregon doesn't join the Big10. Oregon must maintain it's connection to the West. Be bold Oregon. Don't follow the lemmings. Create your own empire. 

What makes the most sense and the least sense at the same time ---  Oregon and Washington to join the ACC

On 7/5/2022 at 1:47 PM, oregon111 said:

What makes the most sense and the least sense at the same time ---  Oregon and Washington to join the ACC

Agreed

Uncle Phil wants  Big 10 or SEC. I wonder how much that counts ??

Any and all of it makes me sick.

I hope and pray this all works out for Oregon........somehow.

On 7/5/2022 at 11:32 PM, Duckball said:

Any and all of it makes me sick.

I hope and pray this all works out for Oregon........somehow.

Not enough Pepto on a palette at Costco for me. Just stinks of bs. Hate it all. Maybe my Saturdays just freed up in 2024. I wonder if I can make tee times that far out. 

On 7/6/2022 at 9:02 PM, DurangoDuck said:

. Hate it all. Maybe my Saturdays just freed up in 2024. I wonder if I can make tee times that far out. 

Ah, yes.

Every black cloud has a silver lining! 

😉