Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckSense

Wilner's perspective

With so much chaos, uncertainty and speculation...all out of our control...I am sticking with Wilner as my go to source. This column as everything stands now, is the most reasoned one I have read and accurately depicts the various dynamics.

Thank you to Wilner for vilifying Larry Scott and USC for their roles in this mess.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50433268/stock-report-pac-12-survival-options-for-oregon-and-uw-the-big-12-as-hunter-and-more

I'm not sure one should vilify USC and UCLA for this, after all it's a business that is being run here. If it was UO leaving here would you say the same ??  I have often urged UO to do just this same thing back when the real villain, Larry Scott was running the show and had the Pac speeding toward the cliff. Larry's decision in 2018 not to take the ESPN's offer to manage and distribute the Pac-12 network sealed the deal on the mess it is in now. Where were the overseers when you need them ??

Unforturenetly, all of the alternatives for UO at this point are not great.  I think UO has lost some of its luster with other conferences and are just not as desirable as it once was. Keep in mind that desirability right now is all about location, location, location and UO is located in no mans land. I like the school and the team, but it is what it is. 

I'm also sure Lanning will not stick around long as a third rate conference is not what he is looking for in his career.  I'm sure all he wants at this time is to finish the year in reasonable shape and show that he can manage the head coach position and then it's time to bolt. Can you blame the guy ??

Let's face it, if UO cannot land in the Big Ten it will be facing dark times. If the remains of the Pac and the Big 12 merge together to form a third conference it will soon be picked over little by little by the Big Ten and the SEC until it also is gone, and it won't take much to do that.

On 7/3/2022 at 8:07 AM, BigDucksFan said:

I'm also sure Lanning will not stick around long as a third rate conference is not what he is looking for in his career.  I'm sure all he wants at this time is to finish the year in reasonable shape and show that he can manage the head coach position and then it's time to bolt. Can you blame the guy ??

It keeps getting worse all the time.  But football is only a spectator sport.  I gave up on the Blazers long ago (jail blazer era) and I got on with my life just fine without them.   I lost interest in the Mariners after Griffy, Randy, and Arod left.  We as fans, don't have to hang on forever.  It is their job to make the game appeal to us, not  the other way around. 

I am glad that I was a fan starting in 2006.  It is looking like what happens this year will determine when I move on. 

On 7/4/2022 at 4:36 AM, oregon111 said:

I am glad that I was a fan starting in 2006.  It is looking like what happens this year will determine when I move on. 

Try being a fan from 1975. Money truly is the root of all evil.