Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oregon111

conferences predictions

I predict that ND says no and stays independent.  Oregon and Washington join big10. 

Then pac12 & big12 merge.  Stanford goes independent.  Cal goes somewhere?   The Mtn West?  

Maybe the Mtn West picks up some left over pac12 teams like Or St, Wa St, Cal - so they can compete instead of getting beat on every week. 

Miami, Clemson, Fla St join SEC.  SEC dumps some its lower value teams. 

Big10 and SEC  become super conferences.  The pac12/big12 merger is the next tier down, along with who is left in the ACC. 

Div 1 football gets broken up so that the lower level teams can form their own playoff system. 

That is it.  I think some of this will come true. 

I am with this writer on what I HOPE will happen 🙏

He has some valid points about "culture challenges," which is why I think Oregon going to the B10 is a train wreck waiting to happen. 

Oh sure they will get the money but half the football season's games will be played 2 time zones away including some in the snow in November. How many Duck fans will be in the stadium against Rutgers? Maryland?

And the travel / schedule for basketball will be a nightmare.

https://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootball/2022/07/heres-hoping-this-uscucla-big-ten-merger-careens-off-the-track-crashes-and-burns-jones.html

On 7/5/2022 at 2:27 PM, oregon111 said:

I predict that ND says no and stays independent.  Oregon and Washington join big10. 

Then pac12 & big12 merge.  Stanford goes independent.  Cal goes somewhere?   The Mtn West?  

Maybe the Mtn West picks up some left over pac12 teams like Or St, Wa St, Cal - so they can compete instead of getting beat on every week. 

Big10 and SEC  become super conferences.  The pac12/big12 merger is the next tier down, along with who is left in the ACC. 

Div 1 football gets broken up so that the lower level teams can form their own playoff system. 

That is it.  I think some of this will come true. 

Looks about right to me.

Maybe add "Big 10 dumps some of its lower value teams".  I really wonder if ND and Stanford can stay independent. Financially they can but how would they handle playoffs if the National championship is between "the winner of the Big 10 and winner of the SEC"

Wilner has a different perspective and not all that bad...

A Pac-12 / B12 merger gives 22 schools in 4 time zones "media coverage."

A bi-coastal super conference of the Pac-12 and ACC is a surprising idea and "separate but equal" doable. That is right... Oregon plays Miami for the conference championship!

As Wilner states early in the article...ESPN appears to hold all the cards and in that context he frames his thoughts around the media rights options.

https://www.ksl.com/article/50434829/pac-12-survival-guide-merger-options-include-the-obvious-big-12-and-the-not-so-obvious

It's looking more and more like Oregon will NOT join the Big 10.

It's the first tiny sliver of happiness I've felt since this all broke. 🙂

On 7/5/2022 at 10:37 PM, Duckball said:

It's looking more and more like Oregon will NOT join the Big 10.

It's the first tiny sliver of happiness I've felt since this all broke. 🙂

Maybe it would be better to let the LA schools go first and see how it goes?

USC might do OK, but UCLA is going to beat down by Iowa, Wisconsin, Mich, Mich St, Ohio St, Penn St. 

The Big 10  might rather have Washington and its TV locality and recruiting base more than Oregon?

On 7/5/2022 at 2:27 PM, oregon111 said:

I will revise my predictions...

ND 50/50 chance to go to big10 or stay independent. 

TV markets not good enough for Washington/Oregon to go to big10, but could get in just because of football interest and to put a bigger foothold on the west coast. 

Pac12/Big12/Mtn West  do some "voodoo" kind of swappings that make no sense at all. Beavs and Wazzu in Mtn West. 

ACC and Pac12 try some kind of "merger" just to keep their teams from abandoning the conferences, but it fails. 

Dark Horse Prediction:  Oklahoma St makes a bold move somewhere and leaves the Big12.

The Pac12 is on life support - teams are jumping overboard like they are in a boat that is on fire. 

------------------

Oregon, Washington, Stanford, North Carolina to the Big10

Beavs, Wazzu to the Mtn West

Az, Az St, Utah, Colorado to the Big12

Cal goes independent (for now) looking for a new home

Pac12 is toast

Clemson, Fla St, Miami to the SEC

Nebraska rejoins the Big12 when Colorado comes over.  So does Missouri. 

Big12 picks up some ACC teams in good southeastern TV markets. 

Big12 gets a good TV contract and also picks up SMU. 

SEC lets some teams leave as the bring on the football schools from the ACC.