Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oregon111

Anyone else tired of all the hype that Mario is getting down at Miami?

We seen this movie before.  Cristobal gets highly rated recruits and then loses to teams full of formally-unknown 3 stars. 

I think this is the Willie the Snake movie 2.0

Not trying to be a homer here, but I think Lanning is putting a real team together with some real coaches and some real transfers. 

He is not getting any "hype" from the media.  

I think Oregon will vastly outplay Miami this upcoming season. 

All he has to do is take care of the defense and let Dillingham run the offense. 

On 7/10/2022 at 11:59 PM, oregon111 said:

We seen this movie before.  Cristobal gets highly rated recruits and then loses to teams full of formally-unknown 3 stars. 

I suspect we will see a repeat of Cristobal's typical outcomes this season, "loses to teams full of formally-unknown 3 stars" as you point out. 

On 7/11/2022 at 12:05 AM, oregon111 said:

All he has to do is take care of the defense and let Dillingham run the offense. 

I feel confident Lanning can handle our defense just fine, but I'm a little worried about Dillingham and the offense, but I sure hope he proves me wrong. 

On 7/11/2022 at 12:05 AM, oregon111 said:

He is not getting any "hype" from the media.

I personally think this is a good thing. I've had it with all the hype and then the let-down of the last years under Cristobal. 

Mario who?

• Thanks 1

On 7/11/2022 at 1:41 AM, BigDucksFan said:

I personally think this is a good thing. I've had it with all the hype and then the let-down of the last years under Cristobal. 

I think all the hype for Cristobal came from his old playing days at Miami.   The great win at Ohio St was a great coaching job and so was that pac12 championship vs USC,  but head scratching losses like Stanford last year and Az St in 2019 only get noticed by us Duck fans. 

If Cristobal has losses like that at Miami, he will be done there very quickly. 

"Hype" doesn't win National Championships as we experienced with Cristobal at Oregon...it doesn't even get you to the Playoffs.

And what gets hyped? Recruiting as in 18-year old boys deciding where to go to college triggers the "drool factor" of excitement and anticipation.

Coaching then determines whether the hype is just that or more(see Nick Saban).

Georgia is ONE game and certainly Oregon fans understand the consequences of winning ONE big game(the luckeyes last year) but not following it up with more wins as in Oregon going to the Alamo Bowl.

Fans attach importance to single games and often in imaginary ways, more than coaches and players who take a one day at a time approach.

On 7/12/2022 at 8:06 AM, DuckSense said:

Fans attach importance to single games and often in imaginary ways, more than coaches and players who take a one day at a time approach.

So true, but winning vs Ohio St is much more of a pump than beating a team like Cal. 

If the Ducks get blown out vs Georgia and can't keep it close, there are no playoffs, no matter what the team does the rest of the season. 

The reason the Ducks were heading to the playoffs in 2019 and 2021 is because they kept it close vs Auburn and beat Ohio St in a close game.  The Ducks then lost to teams they should have beaten - and at that point in time, the playoff dream was over. 

The equation to make the playoffs is:   signature win AND/OR style points,  and then take care of business

The teams with the best players win.  Bad coaching can mess that up.  When LSU won it all and then lost many of its best players, the team did not do so well the next year.