Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigDucksFan

UCLA just kissed football goodbye.

John Canzano brought up a good point that needs to be highlighted. Basically, he is saying that it will be a cold day in hell before UCLA wins a football championship in the Big 10, or is even much competition for the other teams. 

So what is UCLA's place in the Big 10, just a filler team meant to fill in games and be an "easy win" for the others ??  It looks like it. It's obvious that UCLA was selected by the Big 10, not for its football skills but for its TV audience. Likewise for USC, however, USC has very good potential for being competitive in the Big 10, UCLA not so much. 

The bottom line is that UCLA gave up football for the money. I wonder how the students and the fans in the LA area feel about this ??

With the right coach WHO CAN RECRUIT, UCLA can be OK in the big10. 

The move to the big10 is setting the plate for a big name or up and coming coach to take the job. 

With so many teams there, they won't play all the tough teams every year. 

But if they played Mich, Mich St, Penn St, Ohio St, Wisconsin, Iowa - they would be 0 - 6, and maybe even lose to Minnesota with the kind of players they currently have on their roster. 

On 7/11/2022 at 9:57 AM, BigDucksFan said:

John Canzano brought up a good point that needs to be highlighted. Basically, he is saying that it will be a cold day in hell before UCLA wins a football championship in the Big 10, or is even much competition for the other teams. 

So what is UCLA's place in the Big 10, just a filler team meant to fill in games and be an "easy win" for the others ??  It looks like it. It's obvious that UCLA was selected by the Big 10, not for its football skills but for its TV audience. Likewise for USC, however, USC has very good potential for being competitive in the Big 10, UCLA not so much. 

The bottom line is that UCLA gave up football for the money. I wonder how the students and the fans in the LA area feel about this ??

I think UCLA will be happy to be a basketball school going forward. I can see them making serious hay in the BIG. Big 10 teams are always way overrated.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2022 at 10:01 PM, Duckball said:

I think UCLA will be happy to be a basketball school going forward. I can see them making serious hay in the BIG. Big 10 teams are always way overrated.

Or they could just pocket the cash and not care all that much about sports? 

College sports are getting so professional now that it has to be turning off at least some of the colleges. 

The reality is in EVERY P5 Conference, 90% of the schools have no chance in football to win a Conference Championship / make it to the Playoffs...barring one of those "magical" seasons. That is why only 5 active head coaches have won a National Championship.

The most important "game" being played now is one of financial survival. UCLA just enriched EVERY team in its athletic program regardless of how it does in football....they could lose every football game and the $$$ keep flowing in.

Fans measure success by the ability to get to the Playoffs...athletic departments by the ability to pay bills and enrich their respective athletic programs.

I think the price for completely changing cultures will have the most negative consequences on USC and UCLA athletes AND fans i.e. nearest opponent 2 time zones away; travel fatigue on athletes in sports like basketball, weather in football especially in late fall, cost of fans traveling to games and other factors.

Which is why I am hopeful of the Pac-12(10) being able to have a merger with another Conference vs Oregon(with maybe uw) going on their own. Especially having a football head coach with zero experience in that role.

On 7/12/2022 at 7:45 AM, DuckSense said:

That is why only 5 active head coaches have won a National Championship.

This is the biggest problem with college football. 

On 7/12/2022 at 4:16 PM, BigDucksFan said:

This is the biggest problem with college football. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/alabama-coach-nick-saban-weighs-in-on-conference-realignment-concerns-over-competitive-balance/

And yet, today we have none other than Nick Saban complaining about lack of "competitive balance" in college football. 😆🤣😂🤣

Does anyone really take this guy seriously anymore????!!

On 7/12/2022 at 8:43 PM, Duckball said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/alabama-coach-nick-saban-weighs-in-on-conference-realignment-concerns-over-competitive-balance/

And yet, today we have none other than Nick Saban complaining about lack of "competitive balance" in college football. 😆🤣😂🤣

Does anyone really take this guy seriously anymore????!!

Spoken like he doesn't put his all into making sure he wins, on and off the field. 

If Nick Saban's successes at Alabama were at Oregon, Duck fans would take every word he spoke seriously. I remember luckeye fans bashing Urban Meyer at Florida until he became the luckeyes head coach. Phil Knight would love to have Nick Saban as Oregon's head coach. 

On 7/12/2022 at 7:45 AM, DuckSense said:

Fans measure success by the ability to get to the Playoffs...athletic departments by the ability to pay bills and enrich their respective athletic programs.

Fans buy tickets and watch TV, while figure heads sip wine and watch tennis. 

But fans don't get to make decisions concerning conference membership. 

Of all the teams that went to a more competitive/higher profile conference and did nothing...

None of them are begging to go back.  Think about that for a moment. 

Especially Nebraska - who used to be good and last year lost to every conference opponent except Nothwestern. 

This is going to be the new UCLA - get spanked every week and use young men as punching bags in order to bring in a check to the university. 

And Texas and Oklahoma are going to get big time wake up calls when they have to play against SEC linemen.  

On 7/12/2022 at 10:39 PM, DuckSense said:

If Nick Saban's successes at Alabama were at Oregon, Duck fans would take every word he spoke seriously. I remember luckeye fans bashing Urban Meyer at Florida until he became the luckeyes head coach. Phil Knight would love to have Nick Saban as Oregon's head coach. 

Whooosh!

You totally missed the point..... and the irony.......But, O.K.?