Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckSense

Spencer Webb RIP

I had done quite a bit of cliff diving in Oregon.  Many times, I would position myself in the water away from the jumpers and watch underwater with goggles on to see how close they got to the underwater rocks.  Too close most of the time.  Sometimes within a foot of an underwater ledge.   A couple of times, I warned the jumpers about the danger and they just got mad that I bothered them,  so I stopped trying to help. 

When doing this activity, I have never seen any jumper (other than myself) make the effort to swim the landing and check for hazards. 

They all just follow the leader and jump.  These deaths and serious injuries happen.  Not every day, but they do happen.  Some try a "new spot" without checking the bottom and break their legs. 

Conflicting reports on whether Spencer jumped or slipped off a ledge.  Either way, it is tragic.  But not unexpected. 

I'm sure the university will caution all its students about the dangers of cliff jumping.   But these deaths and serious injuries will keep on coming. 

And there are some places where underwater currents at certain water levels (higher) will force a jumper into an undercut and drown.  Other places are safe when the water is higher, but too shallow when the water is lower.  You really have to know what you are doing if you want to do this activity. 

On 7/14/2022 at 12:11 PM, oregon111 said:

I had done quite a bit of cliff diving in Oregon.  Many times, I would position myself in the water away from the jumpers and watch underwater with goggles on to see how close they got to the underwater rocks.  Too close most of the time.  Sometimes within a foot of an underwater ledge.   A couple of times, I warned the jumpers about the danger and they just got mad that I bothered them,  so I stopped trying to help. 

When doing this activity, I have never seen any jumper (other than myself) make the effort to swim the landing and check for hazards. 

They all just follow the leader and jump.  These deaths and serious injuries happen.  Not every day, but they do happen.  Some try a "new spot" without checking the bottom and break their legs. 

Conflicting reports on whether Spencer jumped or slipped off a ledge.  Either way, it is tragic.  But not unexpected. 

I'm sure the university will caution all its students about the dangers of cliff jumping.   But these deaths and serious injuries will keep on coming. 

And there are some places where underwater currents at certain water levels (higher) will force a jumper into an undercut and drown.  Other places are safe when the water is higher, but too shallow when the water is lower.  You really have to know what you are doing if you want to do this activity. 

Good information, thanks

Horribly tragic and heartbreaking.

I pray for his family.

The University of Oregon has had its fair share of tragedies with its athletes these last many decades.

😪

A video by an officer said he fell from a trail or rock climb while trying to get to the jumping spot.  And that is probably even more dangerous than the jump itself. 

I wish he could have survived it and got a second chance.  And I hope the other players don't try that.