Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DuckSense

Desirability rankings of each P5 school

I like articles which present arguments using measured statistics to fuel the conclusions. Hence I find this article noteworthy.

Actually I am not surprised Oregon falls outside the Top 20 and behind USC, uw, Stanford and UCLA.

Fans seem to measure so much based almost entirely on football success(or failures) while I believe the decision-makers factor in much more criteria when it comes to conference realignment.

https://www.si.com/college/2022/07/14/power-5-desirability-rankings-sec-big-ten-acc

Edited by DuckSense

All fine, and with all due respect to your comment ….  but …. “quite frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn”.  I really don’t care what every other pundit or news rag has to say about it. Each story has a new tag on “it”, and it’s all BS. Nothing about football. Nothing about recruiting. Nothing about coaching. All about some storyline of who and how and why money runs the game. I guess that is what has become of college football.

On 7/17/2022 at 8:53 PM, DurangoDuck said:

All fine, and with all due respect to your comment ….  but …. “quite frankly my dear, I don’t give a damn”.  I really don’t care what every other pundit or news rag has to say about it. Each story has a new tag on “it”, and it’s all BS. Nothing about football. Nothing about recruiting. Nothing about coaching. All about some storyline of who and how and why money runs the game. I guess that is what has become of college football.

Yep...it is all about the money whether anyone likes it or not. 

When you are the weakest P5 Conference who struggles to get a team to even sniff the Playoffs and perhaps your "brand team"(Oregon) doesn't have a stadium ranked in the Top 50 in terms of capacity and whose entire state population is about the size of Los Angeles..that is going to be a tough sell in terms of value.

Even your suggested criteria is fractured as well i.e. how was Cristobal's coaching relative to his recruiting???

You don't think people notice when you get destroyed twice within a couple of weeks to a team that your rival beat?(Utah and Oregon State).

Oregon's brand is much bigger in the eyes of its fans than in the reality of those outside that sphere. 

That is one thing I have learned since Texas and Oklahoma bolted for the SEC and recently USC and UCLA agreed to go to the B10... money talks more than performance on a football field.

That is why I am hoping for some type of merger of the Pac-12 and ? because Oregon as a lone wolf or even partnered with the uw is just "filler" for someone else.

Otherwise if Oregon and / or the uw were really that important in any capacity, they would be headed to the B10.

They may be an option but they are not the primary goal.

On 7/18/2022 at 2:41 PM, DuckSense said:

Oregon's brand is much bigger in the eyes of its fans than in the reality of those outside that sphere. 

Oregon's football brand is pretty big...

Going to the natty twice in recent years.

Knocking off Ohio St last year. 

Beating a great Oklahoma team in 2006. 

Putting up so many points in the Chip Kelly years. 

So many ESPN game day events in the last decade or so. 

And most importantly - being ranked so highly so many times during the season. 

------------------------------

The "brand" took a big hit when Helfrich brought the team down in 2016 and when the Snake left in 2017, but Mario brought it back up with recruiting and getting close to another playoff birth. 

The "brand" is still alive.  

Texas and Oklahoma will get destroyed in the SEC.  USC will be the next Nebraska in the big10. 

Oregon will rein in the west. 

--------------------------------

The "brand" needs a good showing vs Georgia.  These are the kinds of games that Oregon needs to be competitive in for the brand to survive.   Oregon doesn't need to win - just keep it interesting. 

When Alabama put a beatdown on USC 52 -6 a few years ago - that killed the USC brand.   But Riley is bringing it back with recruiting and transfer moves. 

-------------------------------

Brands are living animals that shrink and grow on their own.   The fans don't care about TV revenue, profit sharing or any of that -the fans want to see spirited football and Oregon delivers on that - most of the time.  And that is why Oregon has a brand. 

Yeah the brand is so good Oregon and the Pac-10 are now on life support.

Mario Cristobal took a brand to the Rose Bowl with a team he largely inherited and then guided a team he recruited to the Alamo Bowl as well as taking a venue once feared by all opponents to a noise level of the local public library.

A football team has very little to do with a brand i.e. see UCLA as one example. The B10 would take Stanford's "brand" in a heartbeat over Oregon by all reports and especially if they added Notre Dame.

Unless the Pac-12 merges with what I see as the only remaining option, the ACC, they will be left to raiding the Mountain West Conference and being a mid-Major which means little to no chance of making the Playoffs.

The Pac-12 couldn't even make itself Playoff relevant WITH USC and UCLA and they are both gone in 2-years if not sooner...nobody will take the Pac-10 + west coast add-ons seriously as a "power conference" let alone Playoff caliber.