Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
oregon111

Don't judge Bo Nix by his past stats

Bo played against SEC defenses, which are very good. 

Anthony Brown was terrible.  Bo is a different QB. 

Bo gets his chance.  It is highly doubtful that Bo will not start vs Georgia. 

I think Bo will do fine this year. 

I also think that Butters has better accuracy than Ty.   But we will see in 2023. 

If Bo really stinks, then it will be next man up. 

The Spring game was telling for a QB to be able to throw the football.  Not much else can be gained from watching a Spring game. 

I will go on record stating that Bo Nix will have a great season as the starter. 

I hope that the backups get to play in the lesser games when the Ducks have a lead. 

??? He had 3-years at Auburn and never significantly improved...just like Brown at BC to Oregon. What else are we supposed to judge him on?

Logic would suggest Nix would improve each year as he became more knowledgeable about facing those same defenses. He didn't.

He has 34 career starts to 0 for Butterfield and Thompson so if Nix is going to be the starter he better win the job by a HUGE MARGIN to have any credibility in the locker room.

Speaking of those SEC defenses...the game has changed. The SEC had 3 teams in the Top 10 in the nation in Scoring Offense... Alabama, Tennessee and Georgia.

They had 2 teams in the Top 10 in Scoring Defense (Georgia and Texas A&M)... Alabama was #18.

Nix wasn't playing against great SEC defenses on a weekly basis...the fact is he couldn't score the ball regardless of the defense i.e.11 passing TD's in 10 games.

I am hoping Nix, if he is the starter, is on a VERY SHORT rope because all the hype based in his PAST success working with Dillingham(funny how people want to count that but not his stats) and the massive advantage he has in experience of being a starter over Butterfield and Thompson...suggests he needs to win immediately.

On 8/5/2022 at 4:30 PM, DuckSense said:

??? He had 3-years at Auburn and never significantly improved...just like Brown at BC to Oregon. What else are we supposed to judge him on?

Logic would suggest Nix would improve each year as he became more knowledgeable about facing those same defenses. He didn't.

To break it down, what kind of O-line did he have?  What kind of offensive skills players did he have?  What kind of play calling did he have?

Some players don't improve.  Mariota was just as good in his first year of starting as his last, for the most part.   Same with Thibadeaux. 

To get an idea of how good he will be at Oregon, we will just have to watch him play.  

We know that he will have very good skill position players on the offense.  The O-line is at least, experienced and is probably going to be pretty good.  

If Nix wasn't at Auburn (which was a team around the low 20s when they were ranked) and instead at a team like Oklahoma, Georgia, Alabama, Ohio St - would he be a super-star?

I think that Trevor Lawrence was the most recent top QB in college football.  That guy could play and you just knew it by watching him. 

l watched a replay of the 2019 game vs Auburn.  Nix had very little time to throw, but he was good at escaping the rush.  When he did have time and open receivers - he was good.  On long balls as well. 

I think Nix had a crappy offense at Auburn.  But we will see. 

On 8/5/2022 at 11:50 PM, oregon111 said:

I think Nix had a crappy offense at Auburn.  But we will see. 

Nix's biggest problem at Auburn was the conference. It's hard to win in the SEC, much easier to win in the Pac-12. Thus he goes to Oregon. 

We just view reality differently. I believe Nix's stats tell  more than what they don't tell. When you play 3-years in a program and have started 34 games, your stats TELL A LOT.

If Nix had great stats you wouldn't be writing a post with a headline suggesting not to judge him by his stats...but because his stats are not great and he hasn't shown significant improvement, you have a long list of excuses and rationalizations.

It is ironic you suggest not to judge him by his stats but you don't present any stats(facts) to support your position?!?

Auburn had a bad year last season yet in the Iron Bowl they lost to Alabama by 2 points WITHOUT Nix playing!

I just hope Oregon stops accepting average teansfer QB's from other schools and starts DEVELOPING true freshmen they recruit....like Alabama, Clemson, the luckeyes and other powerhouse teams.

Edited by DuckSense

On 8/8/2022 at 8:27 AM, DuckSense said:

I just hope Oregon stops accepting average teansfer QB's from other schools and starts DEVELOPING true freshmen they recruit....like Alabama, Clemson, the luckeyes and other powerhouse teams.

There hasn't been much in the past to show that Oregon knows how to develop a QB, and so far that includes this current year. Either our existing QB's didn't show much hope or our present QB coach doesn't believe in his own ability to develop a QB, thus the call went out to Bo. I for one believe that the talent we had in our QB barn was sufficient to provide a winner, for a coach that knew how to develop that is. 

Since our HC came from the defense side of the ball I suspect his talents don't lie in the area of developing a QB. That leaves me to question the ability to develop QB's of our own OC.